Helpful Tips on Garage Door Repair and Maintenance
Taking the time to perform regular routine maintenance can help maintain your garage doors. Simple garage door repairs can add to the lifespan of your garage door system. If you take the time to perform a yearly inspection you can prevent any possible issues. Most of these are easy maintenance steps that you can perform on your own. However, if you hire a garage door repair expert it can give you additional peace of mind in knowing that you haven’t overlooked issues that would lead to future problems.
Routine Garage Door Maintenance
The following are a few of the basic routine maintenance checks that should be performed on a yearly basis. These simple tasks can help prevent possible future issues and save you money on garage door repair.
- Inspect the tracks for damages/dents: A rubber hammer can be used to pound out minor dents. However, if there is extensive damage, you will need to replace the tracks.
- Ensure that the tracks are both properly aligned & level: To rectify this, loosen the mounting brackets. Then tap the tracks until them are level and slightly slanting toward the back wall of your garage.
- Clean the tracks: Gently wipe any debris along the tracks. You can use a larger paint brush to remove the initial dirt and dust. Next use a gentle household cleaner for a more thorough cleaning.
- Lubricate the pulleys, tracks & rollers: You should purchase either powdered graphite or garage door spray lubricants for the pulleys and tacks, but you can regular household lubricating oil on the rollers.
- Inspect all fasteners, nuts, & bolts and fasteners: Properly tightened any of the aforementioned items that are loose during your inspection.
Professional Garage Door Repair
While most maintenance for your garage doors can be performed by the homeowner, there are some garage door repairs that are best left to the professionals, If have any issues with your automatic garage door opener you should call for immediate service. You should also not attempt to repair the garage door central springs as attempting any repairs on these can lead to serious injury.
At times, repairs may not be the best course. Why spend time and money repairing your garage door tracks when for a little more money you can invest in an automatic garage door opener>It might also be time to replace that aging garage door opener for a newer more modern unit. Any of these issues can cause injury to yourself, damage to your vehicle and comprise your home’s security if not properly rectified.
By performing routine garage door maintenance and taking care of minor garage door repairs as they occur, you can save yourself upwards of a thousand dollars. Any major repairs should be done by a professional. At Sprint Garage Doors we can provide you with the safety and security you need to ensure that your garage door repairs are done properly and professionally. Call us today for an estimate or with any questions you may have regarding garage door repair or maintenance.